Saturday 22 November 2014

Tutorial - Printing on Burlap - Documenting December

There's one sure thing with a kit - it's bound to include some things which aren't are your usual list of supplies. For me it was a gorgeous 3x4 piece of burlap included in The Stamp Spot main kit. I was worried it could be my undoing *of sorts* but I really wanted to try something a little different with it.  

Since it is not something which I would normally use, I did lots of research in Pinterest *gotta love that place*.  I came across a great post by Megan at Spare Time Measures which showed how to print on burlap using my inkjet printer.  I figured... why not! After all, I could only muck it up :-)

1.  Create your words/image in Microsoft Word.  I used a chalk board font which I love.  Use page setup to define your margins so you get the right size for your burlap.  Once you're happy, print it out to check placement, etc.  You may need to fiddle with this a bit and a few prints might be required. Keep your final print out.

2.  When you are happy with your Word creation, spray a layer of Spray Adhesive straight onto your burlap.  It will need to be a reasonable layer so it sticks to the paper.  If it doesn't stick, just spray a little more adhesive. Stick the burlap over the top of your words/picture on your final printout.  This ensures it will print in just the right spot.
3.   Place the paper & burlap into your printer feed tray.  Make sure it is in the correct spot to print on your burlap (ie for my printer the burlap piece needed to be upside down and head first into the feed tray).

4.  Press print & presto *hopefully* it has worked!  I finished my burlap piece off by machine stitching a piece of gold ribbon across the bottom.  A small disclaimer, of course.  This may not work with your printer, but it was no problems with mine.  I use a HP Photosmart 7520.  Good luck!  I'd love to see your creation if you use this technique.








Thanks for stopping by to check out my December Daily progress.  I'll keep you updated with more photos of my foundation pages as they get created.  I'll also be posting to instagram so check that out too.

Also, keep  an eye on The Stamp Spot blog to be inspired from the other DT members.

Have a great day,


6 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea. Very clever !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would never have thought to print directly on it ! Looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey-Lee. I was actually pretty surprised by just how easy it was.

      Delete
  3. Great idea! I wonder what other fabrics you could print on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beck. My mind is also busy thinking about the different things I can do with this technique :-)

      Delete